Submitted by ub on Mon, 12/12/2011 - 10:43

If you see someone breaking the law, immediately contact your local police precinct, or call 911.

NYC accepts reports of noisy neighbors. Officers from your local police precinct will respond when they are not handling emergency situations.

Many buildings have rules about noise. Contact your tenant association, building owner, or super if a neighbor in your building is often noisy.

If these groups do not offer assistance, then call 311 to report noise from a neighbor.

The City accepts also complaints about dogs that bark too much and too loudly, this does not include dogs that are suspected of being abused or mistreated.

Complaints about barking dogs are first addressed by a letter sent to the owner of the dog. In order for the letter to be sent you must provide an address to where the dog is barking. The letter includes information about the New York City Noise Code and includes literature about how to curb the dog's barking. The City will mail the letter to the owner at the address given within seven days of receiving the complaint. The letter to the owner will not include information about the person who made the complaint. Anonymous complaints will receive no action.

Depending on the number of complaints that people make about the dog, the City will determine whether an inspection is necessary.